HOW TO ENTER
SCOTTISH SOCIAL SERVICES AWARDS 2018
The awards are open to people who are registered with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) or who work for an organisation inspected by the Care Inspectorate. Shortlisted entries will be checked by the appropriate regulator.
You can enter yourself or nominate others, but you must have their permission. If you’re entering as an individual you must have permission from your organisation.
There are 10 categories, including a new special Policy Focus award. Each category has different criteria, listed in the bullet points, which entries must be able to demonstrate. You can enter in more than one category – but if entering the same project or person you must clearly show how it meets the different award criteria.
Submissions can be made via our online form between 20 November 2017 and 6pm on 31 January 2018. Follow the online, step by step instructions, or download a copy of the entry guidelines and form. All entries will receive a confirmation email immediately following submission with a summary of the entry and a link to download a copy.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS CHECKLIST
ALL ENTRIES MUST…
- have permission to enter: if you are entering as an individual you must have permission from your organisation and if you are nominating someone else you should also obtain their permission in writing. You will not be able to complete your online application unless you can confirm that you have permission
- be registered: with the SSSC or work for an organisation which is inspected by the Care Inspectorate
- fall within the timeframe: entries must be current and you should be able to provide evidence of practice or work carried out within the last two years (up to 31 Jan 2018). You will also be asked to provide details of any awards your entry has already won
- use plain English: avoid the use of jargon, use of acronyms or social services words and phrases – imagine that you are explaining it to a stranger
- be within the word count: no more than 1,300 words, or you risk being disqualified
- be on time: before the deadline of 6.00pm on Wednesday 31 January 2018
- come to the awards: if shortlisted, you should be able to send a representative to the ceremony on Wednesday 6 June 2018
- give permission to be published: we’ll mention you in press releases sent to the media, if shortlisted,and upload your written entry to the website if you win (although you can redact sensitive information)
- be contactable: cooperate to produce a short promotional film and provide supporting information (pictures and logos) if shortlisted
Entries are judged by panel members and representatives of the Social Work Services Strategic Forum. This year the special Policy Focus award will be judged by a panel of young people who use, or have accessed, children’s services. The panel will be co-ordinated by Children in Scotland.
Judging is a two stage process.
STAGE 1: SHORTLISTING
There are 5 judging panels including:
- Supporting the Workforce
- Understanding Service Quality & Performance
- Improving Use of Evidence
- Public Understanding
- Children’s Services
They will meet in March 2018 to agree a shortlist of three finalists in each category. Entries are rated on a scoring system which considers how well it has met the criteria we are looking for, the evidence provided and the impact it has made to the lives of others.
Entrants will be informed if they have been shortlisted on 19 March 2018.
STAGE 2: FINAL JUDGING
The Social Work Services Strategic Forum will form a final panel in May 2018 to agree the winners for each category.
Winners will be announced and presented with an award at a ceremony on the afternoon of 6 June 2018 at Mansfield Traquair, Edinburgh. All finalists will be invited to attend, including up to three guests for individual nominations or up to five guests for team and organisation nominations.
- Awards open – 20 November 2017
- Entry deadline – 31 January 2018
- Workstrand judging panel shortlisting – February 2018
- Shortlist announced – 19 March 2018
- Filming of Shortlisted applications – April/May 2018
- Final judging panel – May 2018
- Awards ceremony, winners announced – 6 June 2018
If you are experiencing problems with the online portal or have any questions about the entry process please contact email@example.com