AWARDS JOIN FORCES TO CELEBRATE THE BEST OF SOCIAL SERVICES
Two leading awards initiatives are merging to celebrate the best in social care and social work services in Scotland in 2020.
The Scottish Social Services Awards (SSSA) and the Scottish Association of Social Work Awards (SASW) have joined forces to celebrate the work of almost 200,000 people working across the diverse sector, which spans local authorities, universities, private and third sector organisations.
Nominations for SSSA 2020 are now officially open and entries and being invited for the ten categories including new awards for a Social Worker and Social Work Student of the year.
The Minister for Children and Young People, Ms Maree Todd MSP, commented: “It is excellent to see these award initiatives coming together to recognise the outstanding work across the sector to support vulnerable people and to help improve people’s lives. This new partnership will help to ensure as many people as possible have the opportunity to be recognised for the vital and life changing work that they do.”
To mark the new partnership the awards ceremony will take place at a new venue in Edinburgh. Finalists and guests will be invited to a special evening event due to take place at The Hub on Castlehill in Edinburgh from 6pm on Wednesday 3 June 2020.
Alistair Brown, National Director of SASW added: “We are excited to be joining forces with SSSA for the first time. Our annual awards ceremony for the last 13 years has been one of the highlights of our calendar. By combining forces we will raise the profile of the social work profession and wider social services workforce.
“Social Work can risk appearing a bit mystical because of its complexity and the confidentiality involved. This offers a chance for social workers to be acknowledged and celebrated for their vital defence of the human rights of the most vulnerable adults and children in Scotland.”
Anyone registered with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) or working for an organisation registered with the Care Inspectorate can enter or be nominated for an award. Entries must be made online at www.sssa.scot before the 21 February 2020.
For more information please contact: Lynne Ziarelli or Lorna Saunders on 0131 556 0770 or email email@example.com
Picture attached: Winners of the 2019 Scottish Social Services Awards
Notes to Editors:
- The Scottish Social Services Awards were launched in 2017 by the Social Work Services Strategic Forum, a partnership forum of stakeholders from across the social services sector.
- The Forum was established in 2013 to develop and implement a new shared vision and strategy for social services 2015-2020. It represents a strong commitment to working in partnership across organisations and with government to deliver its vision for high quality and effective social services
- Funding for the awards is being provided by the Scottish Government as part of its work to support the implementation of the Strategy.
- The awards are open to individuals, teams and organisation working in social services organisations across all sectors in Scotland who are registered with the Scottish Social Services Council or work for an organisation registered with the Care Inspectorate
- More information at www.sssa.scot
- Follow @SSSawards on Twitter and Facebook #SSSA20